The Law Society of Nunavut is inviting its Members to Stand Together!
November 25- December 10 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence
December 6 The National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women
What to share?
- Take a picture of your team holding the poster
- Please send us your pictures by December 8.
How to share and where?
- Pictures will be shared on our Facebook page.
- You can send your picture to email@example.com or on Messenger on our Facebook page.
- You can post your picture on your own social media with the hashtag #LawyersBreakingTheSilence and tag our page.
In the spring of 2019, the Law Society of Nunavut and Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada (Pauktuutit) joined forces to undertake a project that would break the silence on family violence in Nunavut.
Funded by the Law Foundation of Ontario and the Department of Justice Canada, this project involves a research study and an awareness campaign on the Family Abuse Intervention Act (FAIA). FAIA was created in Nunavut, based on Inuit principles and values, to prevent family abuse by providing Nunavummiut with the opportunity to get different types of orders to deal with family abuse, including Emergency Protection Orders against the abuser, and Community Intervention Orders.
The goal of this project is to understand the legal barriers and needs of Inuit women dealing with family violence in Nunavut.
- Support Nunavummiut in recognizing family violence
- Provide Nunavummiut with a better understanding of what they can do to deal with family violence, including available options
- Understand how the Family Abuse Intervention Action is, or is not, meeting the needs of Inuit women deal with domestic abuse
- Open dialogue amongst Nunavummiut about what constitutes family violence, how to recognize family violence and what can be done to address family violence
The project consists of research study that informed an awareness campaign launched in March 2021. The research study component of this project build more evidence on what is known on how the implementation of the Family Abuse Intervention Act is, or is not, meeting the needs of Inuit women experiencing family violence.
Read the Final Report on Access to Justice on Family Violence in Nunavut launched on March 8, 2022: English; Inuktitut.