A revised CPD policy will be submitted for consideration and approval during the 2020-21 LSN AGM.
- October 13, 2020 Memo to Membership re: Changes to Policy to allow flexibility during Covid-19 related restrictions.
- Current applicable CPD Policy
- List of Compiled 2020 Professional Development events
Download the Description of Types of Activities.
November 26, 2020 Special Meeting - Take note of new activities now included in recognized activities:
- Moot Court (Coaching or Judging) 3 credits per hour of coaching or judging; 3 hours max
- Pro Bono (LSN Access to Justice Program) 1 credit per hour of pro bono; 3 hours max
- Read the special meeting-related memo and resolution: Inuktitut; English
|Unrestricted Self Study||1 credit per hour||2 hours maximum|
|Restricted Self Study||1 credit per hour||2 hours maximum|
|Group Study||1 credit per hour||Unlimited|
|Educational Training||1 credit per hour||Unlimited|
|Teaching of a Course||3 credits per hour taught||Unlimited|
|Invited Speaker - Law-Related Event||2 credits per hour of presentation||Unlimited|
|Nunavut Official Language Training||1 credit per hour||1 hour maximum|
Reporting Requirements, Monitoring and Compliance
|Requirement||Applicability to type of membership||Sanction for non-compliance during Pilot Project period||Sanction for non compliance after Pilot Project period|
|Self-reporting: Complete Appendix B with annual membership renewal forms by January 31 of each year||All members (including newly called lawyers and inactive members).||N/A||Administrative suspension|
|Complete a minimum of 12 hours of recognized CPD activities.||All members except newly called lawyers and inactive members.||Non compliance for lack of activities: A member must provide a written explanation of his or her effort in attempting to fulfill requirements.||Administrative suspension.|
The Canadian Bar Association and the Law Society of Nunavut have developed a cooperative relationship designed to bring resident lawyers professional development/ continuing education opportunities, with other incidental benefits, such as enhanced collegiality. Click here for more information.