This timeline applies to
- regular membership applications
- applications for Canadian Legal Advisor (CLA) certificates, and
- student-at-law (articling) applications.
A lawyer who urgently requires the entitlement to practice law in the Territory can apply for a combined Restricted Appearance Certificate (RAC) and Regular Membership or Canadian Legal Advisor (CLA) option.
- Submission - Applicants must submit their application within ten (10) working days before the next scheduled MAC’s scheduled review date (every 2 weeks on Mondays – see Calendar below).
- Receipt - Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt within three (3) working days which will include a request to provide any outstanding information or materials.
- The Membership and Admission Committee (MAC) will examine an application and provide a recommendation to the Executive Committee within fifteen (15) working days assuming no further information is required from the applicant.
- The Executive Committee will consider the MAC’s recommendation and provide their decision to approve (or not) the application for admission within ten (10) working days assuming no further information is required from the applicant.